Sarmishta Pantham shows us how she transforms runway looks to illustrations and then turns them into dishes
Viktor & Rolf Spring 2017 Couture; Image courtesy: vogue.com
Dish 1: Spiral Spectrum
You will need:
1 Baguette, toasted
For the seaweed butter:
2 tablespoons crushed seaweed
1/4 teaspoon matcha powder
1 stick salted butter, preferably cultured, at room temperature Flaky sea salt
For the ginger miso dressing: 21⁄2 tablespoons white miso
11⁄2 tablespoons hot or warm water
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger, peeled 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1⁄2 teaspoon tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
Spiralised cucumbers Pink radish slices Sprouts
Black Sesame seeds White sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients to prepare the ginger miso dressing. Set aside.
2. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the seaweed to a rough powder. Transfer to a bowl, add the matcha and butter and season with salt. Mix well until combined and set aside.
3. Now, quickly drizzle the ginger miso dressing over the spiralised cucumbers and toss lightly to coat.
4. Time to assemble! Spread a tablespoon or two of seaweed butter over each piece of toast and top with your choice of ginger miso spirals, radish slices, edible flowers and sprouts. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and enjoy!
Delpozo Spring/Summer 2017 RTW; Image Courtesy: elleuk.com
Dish 2: Chicoree White
You will need:
For the salad:
5 tablespoons puffed rice, lightly toasted
A handful of moong sprouts
Mint leaves to garnish
For the dressing:
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons cup oil
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1⁄4 teaspoon ras el-hanout Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Set aside.
2. Wash the chicoree, separate it into singular petals and arrange them on the plate.
3. Channeling your greatest knife skills, thinly slice the apple into slim discs and distribute them around the chicoree.
4. Then, using a spiraliser, spiralise all of the white radishes, and place them opened up, inside the chicoree petals.
5. Drizzle your dressing over the top of the salad and sprinkle the toasted puffed rice. Top with a few sprigs of mint and it’s ready!
Last modified: October 17, 2018